Leslie de Meulles
Leslie de Meulles brings a wealth of government relations, policy, and research experience to Weilers. Leslie completed her undergraduate studies at Carleton University in 2007 and obtained a Master of Political Theory from McGill University in 2009. Her Master’s thesis was on the Indian Residential Schools Truth and Reconciliation Commission and how to address Canada’s legacy of human rights abuse toward Indigenous communities. Leslie was selected for the prestigious Ontario Legislative Internship Program, and then worked as a Senior Policy Advisor for Michael Gravelle, while he was the Ontario Minister of Northern Development and Mines and Minister of Natural Resources.
After gaining experience in the political realm, Leslie pursued her law degree at Lakehead University where she was the President of the Lakehead Law Students’ Society and also President of the Law Students' Society of Ontario (LSSO). As President of the LSSO, she lobbied the Ontario government and Ontario law schools to implement the Truth and Reconciliation Call to Action #28 – which calls on law schools to implement mandatory law classes on Aboriginal people and the law across Canada. She graduated as the class valedictorian in 2017.
Since graduating from law school, Leslie has worked for a national Aboriginal law firm in Whitehorse, Yukon. In this role, she was the lead negotiator for First Nations on the implementation of self-government agreements and also assisted Nations develop good governance practices and legislation. Leslie joins Weiler Maloney Nelson to build an Aboriginal law and civil litigation practice; she has a special interest in self-government, and in working with Indigenous communities to develop good governance institutions that incorporate Indigenous legal principles.
In her spare time Leslie likes cooking and enjoys hiking, paddling and cross-country skiing.
- Past President, Law Students’ Society of Ontario (2016-2017)
- Past Member, Board of Governors, Lakehead University (2016-2017)
- Treasurer's Liaison Committee, Law Society of Ontario (2016-2017)
- Canadian Bar Association Executive Committee ( 2015-2017)
- Past Director, New Directions Speaker School Thunder Bay (2016-2017)
- Past President, Lakehead Law Students’ Society (2015-2016)
- BHums, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, 2007
- Master of Arts, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, 2009
- Juris Doctor, Bora Laskin Faculty of Law, Thunder Bay, Ontario 2017
- Called to the bar in 2017
- Joined Weilers in 2018
Tel: (807) 623-8888
Fax: (807) 623-4947